An essay is a formal piece of writing which describes, analyses or discusses a particular issue.
The most common types are:
- Opinion essays. They present the writer’s personal opinion of the topic, supported with examples and reasons.
- For and against essays. They present both sides of an issue in a balanced way. In the concluding paragraph you can say why you find one side more convincing than the other.
In this post, I’ll guide you step by step to help you write a good for and against essay.
- Step 1. Tips and Guidelines +sample essay (pdf)
- Step 2. Presentation + sample essay (reinforcing)
- Step 3. Using connectors of contrast
- Step 4. Using connectors of purpose
- Step 5. Write: 53 topics to write about. (pdf)
Step 1. Tips and guidelines+sample essay
1. The first stage in writing is producing ideas. It’s important to dedicate two or three minutes to carefully planning what you are going to say. Make a list of the points for and against. Remember that the key to writing a good balanced essay is to include as many arguments you disagree with as those you agree with. They should be noted impartially although in your conclusion you can say why you find one side more convincing than the other.
2. Producing and organising ideas is one thing. Shaping ideas and the organisation of your writing is another. But often the most difficult part is starting a first draft.
Once you have your first draft pay attention to how you have organised the information into paragraphs and grouped ideas.
Once this is done you can focus on expression. This means looking at sentence structure, tense usage and vocabulary. It’s important to write clearly and economically. This can mean either rephrasing ideas in two sentences instead of one, or rewriting two longer sentences as one shorter sentence. So, go over your first draft, looking for ways of improving sentence structure, tense usage and vocabulary.
3. Organise your essay into three parts:
- Introduction- Paragraph 1- Introduce the topic. The opening should engage the reader’s interest and give a hint of what is to follow.
- Main Body- Normally you have two paragraphs. In Paragraph 2, you state your arguments for and in Paragraph 3, your arguments against.
- Conclusion– In paragraph 4 you refer back to the topic and summarize. Here you can say why you find one side more convincing than the other.
4. It’s important that you begin each paragraph with a main idea and then develop this idea. For a new idea, begin a new paragraph.
5. This is academic writing, so don’t use informal style ( no contractions, colloquial words, or emotional language).
6. Remember to use a variety of structures and vocabulary adequate to your level.
Step 2. Presentation + sample essay (reinforcing ).
Step 3. Using connectors of contrast.
Using connectors is important to express different relationships between ideas. Here, you’ll learn how to use connectors of contrast.
Read the flyer below to learn how to use: despite/in spite of, nevertheless, however, on the other hand, although, even though, though, yet, still, but and while/whereas.
At the end of the flyer there are some interactive exercises to test your knowledge.
Step 3. Using connectors of purpose.
Now we learn how to express purpose with the following words: to, in order to, so as to, for, so that and in case.
Test your knowledge
Step 5. Write: 53 topics to write about.Pdf here
Are you ready to write now? Here’s a compilation of 53 for and against topics to write about from different sites and course books. Take your pick, follow all the tips and guidelines and good luck!
- Should schools start later in the morning?
- Benefits of teaching children second languages early on.
- The pros and cons of single gender classrooms.
- Is sex education the job of parents or of the school?
- The pros and cons of reduction of physical education hours in our current school system.
- The pros and cons of security cameras in schools.
- Pros and cons of a 4-day school week.
- Should parents pay students for good grades?
- The pros and cons of bilingual or dual language education.
- The pros and cons of wearing a uniform.
- The pros and cons of banning junk food in schools.
- Should sexual education be taught in high schools?
- The education a child receives at home from having parents who are positive role models is more important than the academic education a child receives at school. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Plastic surgery- vanity or need?
- Is vegetarianism a healthy diet?
- One of the largest parts of government expenditure is health. Some people argue that this money would be better spent on health education on the principle that prevention is better than cure. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Should parents be allowed to choose their child’s gender?
- Pros and cons of having exotic animals as home pets?
- Should advertising for plastic surgery be illegal?
- Should priests be celibate?
- What does everyone think about zoo animals? Is it a good or a bad thing?
- Does legal prostitution reduce crime?
- To what extent is the use of animals in scientific research acceptable? Discuss the pros and cons.
- Some people argue that the amount of violence shown in films and on television has led to an increase in violent crimes in society. Do you agree with this argument? Should the government control what is shown on television and in the cinema?
- Should rich countries forgive all debts for poor countries?
- The pros and cons of children under the age of 10 playing video games.
- The pros and cons of film, television, and music piracy.
- Should kids under the age of 13 have a phone?
- Advantages and disadvantages of digital spying on kids and teens.
- The pros and cons of owning an electric car.
- Have we become too dependent on technology? Discuss the pros and cons.
- Should students be allowed to have cell phones in elementary and high schools?
- Should we ban the sale of violent video games?
- Some people say that the Internet is making the world smaller by bringing people together. To what extent do you agree that the Internet is making it easier for people to communicate with one another?
- Should pro wrestling be considered a sport?
- Should sport hunting be banned?
- Many people want their country to hold the Olympics. Others believe that international sporting events bring more problems than benefits. Discuss both views and state your opinion.
- In the future, we will have more and more leisure time as machines replace many of the tasks we do at home and work. Discuss the benefits this will bring and also the problem it will cause.
- It is said that travel broadens the mind. What can we learn by travelling to other countries? Should we first explore our own countries? Discuss.
- In many countries tourism is a major part of the economy, but it also causes environmental damage and ruins the places it exploits. It is argued that tourists should pay an additional tax to compensate for this damage. Do you agree?
- Should museums and art galleries be free of charge for the general public, or should a charge, even a voluntary charge, be levied for admittance? Discuss this issue, and give your opinion.
- Unemployment is one of the most serious problems facing developed nations today. What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of reducing the working week to thirty five hours?
- Most high level jobs are done by men. Should the government encourage a certain percentage of these jobs to be reserved for women?
- Should retirement be compulsory at 65 years of age?
- Differences between countries become less evident each year. Nowadays, all over the world people share the same fashions, advertising, brands, eating habits and TV channels. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this?
- Television has had a significant influence on the culture of many societies. To what extent would you say that television has positively or negatively affected the cultural development of your society?
- Some people like living in a house, while others prefer an apartment. Are there more advantages than disadvantages to living in a house rather than in an apartment?
FAMILY AND RELATIONSHIPS
- The pros and cons of gay marriage.
- Some parents choose not to have a television at home because of the influence on their children. Is this a good or a bad thing?
- Some people believe in the traditional idea that the woman’s place is in the home, while others say that idea is outdated and that women should play an increasingly important role in the workplace of the future. What is your opinion?
- People are now living longer than ever before and many old people are unable to look after themselves. Some people believe that it is the responsibility of families to look after the elderly, while others say governments should provide retirement homes for them where they can be looked after properly. Discuss.
- Are women better parents than men?
- If children behave badly, should their parents accept responsibility and also be punished?
Have you visited my writing section yet?
Blog de Cristina is also on Facebook. Follow us.
Argumentative essay is the most often assigned type of essay. And if you want to learn how to write one, you would need to read an argumentative essay sample. On Star-Writers blog you would be able to find a lot of sample argumentative essays, as well as articles on popular topics, which could inspire you with some interesting ideas for your own composition. In this post you have an opportunity to review a sample of argumentative essay about one very controversial topic. You will also benefit from the sample argumentative essay outline offered below. With the help of such argumentative essay outline sample, you would be able to compose your own essay much faster and with little effort. All sample argumentative essays that you will read on Star-Writers blog are original and unique. If you decide to save your time and order an essay from our professional writers, you can be sure that it will be custom written and edited just for you and no one else will have a similar paper.
Argumentative Essay Outline
Despite common belief, there are different types of argumentative essays. You will be able to read all of them if you follow Star-Writers blog. The one we are going to discuss today is called for and against argumentative essay. Unlike simple argumentative essay, which argues only one point of view, this type presents both sides of the argument without author appealing to any of the sides. It means that when composing your essay you have to learn to argue for the opinions which you do not share. It is a good thinking exercise and gives you an opportunity to demonstrate your analytical skills and broad worldview. To make the task easier for you we offer you to base your essay on the following outline:
Paragraph 1: Introduction. Introduce the subject you are going to discuss. Write a strong and compelling thesis sentence. Mention the two opposing points of view;
Paragraph 2:First supporting argument. Present the side that supports the idea mentioned in the topic. Give their argument and support it with examples, facts or other evidence;
Paragraph 3: Second supporting argument. Present and explain the second argument of the supporting side;
Paragraph 4: First opposing argument. Present the side that argues against the matter mentioned in the topic. Give their argument and support it with examples, facts or other evidence;
Paragraph 5: Second opposing argument. Present and explain the second argument of the opposing side;
Paragraph 6: Conclusion. Briefly sum up the information given in the preceding paragraphs. Offer a way to resolve the problem mentioned in the topic, as a rule you may suggest reaching a balance between two opposing points of view.
Free Argumentative Essay Sample
Topic: Should children be allowed to play violent video games?
Almost all children like to play video games. At times, parents can be shocked from all the violence and aggression they suddenly see in the video games. Some people say that these are only games and there is nothing to worry about. However, others argue that such violence is harmful for the developing personality of a young person. The question is, what should the parents do when they see their child playing such game? Should they regard it as a temporary interest and let it be, or should they forbid the game? It is a controversial subject with no definite answer. Nevertheless, the parents may take into account the following arguments for and against playing violent video games, when they try to come up with a right decision.
The supporters of violent video games advocate that playing such games allows teenagers to divert their aggression into the virtual world instead of the real one. Teenage is a complicated period for most of the children, when their bodies and minds undergo a lot of changes. At this time they often find themselves in the conflict with the surrounding world and experience a lot of negative emotions. Playing video games with violent pretext, gives them a chance to let out the steam. It serves as an outlet for their negativity, so afterwards they could return to reality with more peaceful mindset.
Moreover, the followers of this theory also believe that playing such video games helps children to understand and learn to control their emotions. The children, when faced with problems and disappointments often don’t know how to react. The society puts a heavy weight of expectations on teens and often they are not able to fulfill the hopes of their parents and teachers. It leads to an array of mixed emotions and feeling that children don’t know how to deal with. When playing video games that trigger the outburst of strong emotions, children learn to recognize their own feelings. It teaches them how to understand and control powerful negative emotions.
Nevertheless, the opponents of violent video games are not convinced by these arguments and claim that such games have a strong negative effect on the developing minds of children and teenagers. They say that these games create even more violence and aggression. When a child constantly witnesses violence, blood and murders in the video games it leaves a certain imprint on his psyche. Such child would be more prone to aggressive actions against his siblings and friends. Moreover, the opponents state that children who play such games tend to become less social and their academic progress declines.
In addition, people who advocate against children playing violent video games argue that such games lead to violence in real life. Children are not able to separate the virtual and real world fully. That distinction is very blurry for the undeveloped young mind. They often confuse the two concepts, thus believing that what it acceptable in virtual world would be also fine in the real one. Therefore, they carry that aggressive violent attitude into their daily lives, harming the people around themselves. And afterwards, when they have to pay for the consequences of their actions, they cannot understand what they have done wrong. Thus, the opponents strongly disapprove the use of violent video games by children as dangerous and unpredictable.
Although, the two opposing sides of this argument would never agree to compromise, the parents of young people still must make the decision that would work the best for their children. It is true that video games are just games, however, it is a fact that they can be harmful if used thoughtlessly and without parental attention. It would be desirable to try reaching a certain balance in this matter. Games should be regarded as games, which must be playing sparingly. Moreover, the parents have to understand that instead of forbidding such video games, they must provide enough alternative, such as travelling, time outside, family board games, movies, reading, arts and sports.
Order Argumentative Essay Online
If you have to compose an argumentative essay for your high school or college, you can follow the outline advice and topic idea given in this post. However, you may also consider an option of ordering professional essay writing services from Star-Writers. If you have no time or necessary writing skill, you can rely on our writers to create an original and first-rate essay for you. The prices are very moderate that even a student can afford our services. If you have any questions or suggestions, you are welcome to contact our round-the-clock customer support. And follow up our blog for more free samples and writing tips.